Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Enough is enough


I finish work at 12pm on a Wednesday so I rush around doing all the little jobs I don't get a chance to do during the week. In between time I managed to paint the background for my One World One Heart Girl. It was an exercise in frustration. I was really happy with it but did I know when to stop, no of course not! Just a little bit more ended up being too much and the background was ruined. When to know enough is enough? I waited for it to dry and then basically painted over it - it isn't nearly as good as the first background but it will do, afterall the girl is going to take centre stage and the background is the prop. Tomorrow (day 6) I will transfer the sketch onto the background and lay down the first coat of her face.

The old saying "if you don't use it you lose it" is very true. I'm definitely out of practice. This image isn't the best, it isn't taken in natural light so there is reflection off the picture, but you will get the general idea and when I take further photos of the evolving painting you will see it better.

2 comments:

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Well, it all a process. What you think is ruined might be genius tomorrow. Gesso, sometimes, is our best friend!

Heather said...

Pretty background. I think your sketch below has a beautiful face, tooo! good luck, xxoo