Monday, July 6, 2009

Wedding over


My sister's wedding was beautiful. It was quite casual and laid back which was nice. Not very formal. She looked radiant as did he. I don't think I've ever seen her looking so happy. It was a lovely day. Glad it is over though. All my family was there which was such a surprise. I knew that 5 of us siblings would be there but you could have knocked me over with a feather when my brother from New Zealand knocked on my door on Thursday before the wedding. He'd received an email about the wedding the night before (he hadn't been able to access email for a while),phoned his boss to see if he could take some time off, phoned the airline to see when the next cheap fare was. He found out a plane was leaving for Melbourne from Christchurch the next morning at 6am, it was a cheap fare so he took it. He threw a few things in a suitcase, jumped in his car and drove from Queenstown where he lives, to Christchurch (600km I think he said - an all nighter driving). He got to the airport just in time (his car gave him trouble on the way and he couldn't drive over 80 kph). He hired a car when he got to Melbourne and drove to Adelaide where I live (another long, long drive - around 8 hours). He looked a little tired but it was so good to see him. I have 2 sisters and 3 brothers and we last were together at my mum's funeral a couple of years ago and before that it had been more than 25 years we had all been together. Everyone has gone now, which is sad, but it was so great to catch up with everyone. You can check out the photos here My facebook photos. The above photo is of me with my husband and children.
The sad, sad news is that my computer has been in the workshop for a couple of weeks now so I have been using my husband's laptop when I could. However, that has picked up a very bad virus from my son's USB, which has wiped out the hard drive. That is now useless. My Mac, may it rest in peace, had overheating problems which wiped out its motherboard. It will cost $1,000 to replace the components, or $2,000 to buy a new one. Oh the decisions to be made. Fortunately I do a full mirror backup every day so I can put everything that was on my old Mac onto a new one if that's the road I decide to travel. What do you think - should I buy a new one? I do love my Mac and really couldn't go back to a PC.

8 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

Brenda,

Sorry to hear of your computer problems. I am currently saving for a new MacBook and expect to purchase one some time next Spring. Of course, my desktop is quite new, so I am not in need on a new one as you are.

I bought a PC once about 10 years ago when I was working on an electrical engineering degree and needed it for the software. As soon as I no longer needed it, I gave it to my son and bought a Mac.

I'm afraid I am one of those people who think the ONLY computer is a Mac.

Good luck,

xoxo

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Well, if you think you can afford it, go for the new one. I went back to PC 3 years ago after being a Mac girl most of my life, only because I needed PC for my job. I've gotten used to it but it's not a mac. Smart lady, backing up your stuff regularly. I do my photos but foolishly not much else. Must change that bad habit pronto! How nice everyone was together for the wedding!

Terri said...

What a happy occassion. Let them know a stranger is Wishing them all the best.

The old Mac will never be the same I fear...I would move on to a new one. No fun having computer problems. I feel the pain of your decission.

DJ said...

There's nothing like family! :-)
Except maybe computers...wonderful most of the time; frustrating other times.

femminismo said...

Well, it sounds like you need a Mac. I like the PC just fine at home and use a Mac at work. Once you get used to something, that's it, though. Good thing for the backups. I've missed you lately. Maybe the computer problems are what led me to you. (I felt sympathy pains.) Anyway, glad I checked in. So glad your whole family got together. Those times together remind us of how close we once were - like it or not - and how far we've come sometimes. Hope you laughed a lot! - Jeanne

Art by Darla Kay said...

Hi Brenda! glad you saw your award :) I wrote that post yesterday but just published it this morning.
Thanks for providing an inspiring blog!!
Darla♥

Fannie said...

Sounds like a wonderful family reunion at the wedding. Nice.

Sorry to hear about your computer probs. It's a good thing you made a backup. I need to practice that more regularly. Thanks for the inspiration to do so.

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Oh hi Brenda. Just thought I'd drop in and say hi. I was remembering tonight how when I met you in Paulette's class I was in the thick of winter and how much griping I did to you about that. Now I'm in the swing of summer which brings me to realize how quickly time is passing. Hope things are great down there and that you are very busy creating!